Anne's Reviews > Lone Survivors: How We Came to Be the Only Humans on Earth

Lone Survivors by Chris Stringer

Apr 06, 12

Read from March 24 to April 06, 2012

I was watching a documentary on human evolution recently and realized the state of my knowledge on the topic was in dire need of updating. When I saw a review for this book, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to dive on in. But basically, I'm just dabbling here in paleontology, archaeology, and evolution.

As for the book itself, for the most part everything was written clearly so even I, as a dabbler, could grasp most of what was being covered. But I found the organization horrible! I suspect my unfamiliarity with the topic contributed greatly, but my mind was spinning trying to keep track of when/where all the bones were coming from and how they all tied together. Essentially, I wanted more pictures, more diagrams, and way better maps. I think the nature of the topic lends itself to visual aids and the few that were in the book were severely lacking (for me, anyway).

However, I definitely do not regret reading the book since I feel I did get some interesting information from it. My favorite part was the DNA analysis because (yay!) it felt more concrete (maybe even more reliable) than the speculation on culture, behavior, etc. of peoples dead millennia ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Survivors.

03/24/2012 page 37
11.0% "I would kill for a good chart. Not to mention, some of this description is better suited (for me) to a filmed medium."
03/31/2012 page 80
24.0% "Yes, why did modern humans evolve to have such narrow hips?"
04/01/2012 page 108
32.0% "I'm getting lost in a sea of skeletons - intriguing as all the speculation of their place in the puzzle is."
04/03/2012 page 204
61.0% "The chapter on DNA was the most interesting yet!"
show 1 hidden update…