Abeer Hoque's Reviews > Tropic of Cancer

Nov 07, 2008

liked it
Recommended to Abeer by: Dean Smith
Read in October, 2008

It took me ages to finish this book. This was partly my own lazy fault and partly Mr. Miller's wandering style which while absolutely beautifully and shockingly singular is also hard to keep a bead on.

I also found myself frequently beset by the thought that women have a long way to go to write a book as selfishly self centredly female as his is male. Yeah yeah, all the critics pan him as misogynist and all the fans praise him saying that's not the point, he's a misanthrope but a lover of life, and so on. But the adorable follies of the deliberately poor white artist man have been documented, dare I say it, ad nauseum, and I'm not quite nauseated but a bit bored - with the content of the Tropic of Cancer, but NOT with the writing or his purpose. Not for a second.

If I could forget that all women in his world are whores, then I could gladly rejoice in his joy of language and living. I don't think I've read many writers who have his gift of the written word, and his bitter yet appreciative apprehension of the world around. But that's the thing. I can't forget. So this might be my first and last Henry Miller book. And I have to say, too bad for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tropic of Cancer.