Denis's Reviews > Like

Like by Ali Smith

Jul 15, 2007

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like.

message 1: by Denis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Denis Ack! It's been a while since I've been both impressed and frustrated with a novel.

This book revolves around the relationship of a woman with her young daughter, Kate, and with her friend, Ash. The setting is Scotland and the period is the 60s and 70s. And don't expect much in terms of plot, it really is about the relationships.

The book is divided into 2 distinct parts, the first told in 3rd person, and bouncing from the mother's (Amy's) POV, and the daughter's. And I must add that this is likely the finest (most authentic) child's POV I've read.

The second part is told in 1st person from the POV of the friend, Ash, and mostly through diary entries. This switch seemed odd at first, but it works fine. However, this structure might have added to my confusion. It feels very real, but I felt the need to return to Amy and Kate, for some sort of corroboration, or debriefing. Instead I was left with a couple serious questions.

But still, Ali Smith is a great, great writer. Her prose is rich with details, and so very poetic. Very impressive.

I hope someone else, smarter than me, reads this book, 'cause I have questions!