Skye's Reviews > A Web of Air

A Web of Air by Philip Reeve

May 02, 12

Read from April 30 to May 01, 2012

** spoiler alert ** There is something special about Mr Reeve's work, and it is nothing to do with moving cities and clever world building (although there is a feast of that.) I read Philip Reeve for his characters, which are all hopelessly, beautifully, humanly flawed. I love how he can do fantasy/sci-fi/steam punk without resorting to the black and white dichotomy of cookie cutter good guys and bad guys you find in even the classics of these genres.

I especially like his female leads, Hester Shaw and Fever Crumb. Honestly, he writes these girls better than most female authors, giving them complicated motivations, jealousies, deep rooted fears and in Fever's case, a sort of bigot-ism in favour of science that I truly hope will be tested later in the series. I like Hester better than Fever, because Hester is ugly and emotional, whereas Fever is pretty and rational. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it had more depth than it's predecessor.

Would have given it five stars, except a few things annoyed me about the ending. *SPOILERS* I hated the way Fever left Ruan and Fern to return with her parents. It seemed out of character, given all the development she'd had to this point. In fact Fever returning to London at all seemed irrational and more of a forced plot point to set up book 3. Also, would love to have had some resolution about Thirza, I really liked her character (wicked as she is) and hope she comes back in book 3. Seemed like a loose end as is.

If you've never read any Hungry Cities books, go out and find Mortal Engines right now. You will not regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Web of Air.