Gabbi's Reviews > More Love Notes

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: anthology, favorites, top2bottom-reviews
Read from March 24 to April 24, 2012

Blue-Gray Lines by Lydia Nix

Ever since they were children, Wendell Davis has loved Declan Kelly. They grew up together, fell in love and when the War Between the States started, were separated when Declan joined the Union army. Because Wendell’s father had passed away, Wendell was needed to stay home and run the family farm and take care of his angry, unbalanced mother. For the past two years, Wendell lives for the letters that Declan sends him while he fights on the battlefield. With each passing day, Wendell continues to worry and fret that the love of his life will someday perish, but the letters he continues to receive from his lover gives him hope and strength to continue on.

I loved this story. I thought the relationship between Wendell and Declan was beautiful to read and I enjoyed the sometimes very naughty correspondence they sent to each other. Ms. Nix definitely does not sugar-coat the horrors of war, but she also portrays the hope that both Wendell and Declan have to one day be together again. Both heroes were honorable and likeable men whose love grows and continues over the test of time. I loved this story and hated to see it come to an end.

Burn by Scarlett Parrish

Austin Lombard is tired of being used by his so called ex-boyfriend. He decides one night to go to the local gay bar and have some hot nameless sex with a willing body. It’s part of what he calls his ‘fuck-it’ list and Austin is determined to check some of the things he has on his sexual list before the night is over. When he meets a sexy scot, they immediately hit it off and even though it supposed to just be a one-night stand, there is something burning between them that can’t be denied. When the night is over will Austin be able to walk away?

I really enjoyed this story. It is told in first person through Austin’s eyes and because he’s such an interesting character, I really liked his inner dialog and the feelings he had as he told the story. Burn is set at the beginning of a relationship between Austin and James. I loved the witty banter and the conversations the two heroes have between them. Even though it is supposed to be a one night stand, it’s obvious that these two were clearly made for each other. Burn is a fun and sexy story and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Lover’s Trill by Viki Lyn

Ten years ago Leo left his lover Andre with nothing but a note. Both men were classically trained musicians, but Leo’s heart was into making his own way as the lead singer of a rock band, leaving the love of his life behind without a second glance back. Now, Leo finds himself at the end of his band’s tour, in Vienna, with a couple of days to himself. When Leo comes across a flyer with Andre’s face on it, he realizes that his former lover is now a successful violinist and try as he might; he is unable to stay away from him. When the lover’s finally reunite, will they be able to put away past mistakes so they can have a future together?

I loved this story! Both Leo and Andre were sexy, uniquely written men with a sizzling and loving chemistry between them. Even though in many ways they seem to be polar opposites, they really fit perfectly together and I adored every scene that had them in it. The story is fast-paced and at times even bittersweet; the ending left me with a huge smile on my face. I hated that this story was so short because I would have loved to have read more about these two amazing men. I even liked Leo’s band mate Sid, and hope Ms. Lyn will write a sequel one day so I can re-visit these characters again.

The Heart is a Stringed Instrument by Jenny Urban

Brandon is a serious and very successful Cellist, but when it comes to affairs of the heart, Brandon has a love ‘em and leave ‘em attitude. He likes to have fun and spends many nights at the club, dancing and hooking up with different men. One night at the club, he meets a man named, Mark, and they have some very hot moments in the men’s restroom. Afterward, both men leave without a second glance, but with some very fond memories between them. The next day, when Brandon is at rehearsal, there is an announcement that there will be a new temporary conductor for the rest of the season. When Brandon sees that it’s Mark, the hot bathroom hookup, he’s both horrified and intrigued. But, Brandon and Mark start hanging out together and soon there are something more between them than friendship and sex. But, Mark’s stay is temporary and he must leave soon. Will Brandon and Mark find a way to stay together?

I really liked this book a lot. Brandon is a fun and flirty character that is unapologetic about his sexuality, but once he gets to know Mark, the intensity they have between them makes Brandon reevaluate his former lifestyle choices. I thought he and Mark were an interesting match and I really enjoyed the camaraderie and friendship they developed between them as they also fell in love. A Heart is a Stringed Instrument is a sexy, fast-paced read that I thoroughly enjoyed and I look forward to reading more by Ms. Urban in the future.

Every story in More Love Notes was fantastic. This is a rarity when it comes to multi-authored anthologies. Each story was highly entertaining, very sexy with emotionally charged storylines that kept me enthralled with them until the very end. Most of these authors were new authors to me and I’ll be looking forward to reading more books by them in the future. Highly Recommended!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Love Notes.