Aestas Book Blog's Reviews > Slammed

Oct 19, 12

bookshelves: favorites, book-1-of-my-fav-series, 6-star-books
Recommended for: everyone
I own a copy

MOVIE NEWS!!! ---> Both SLAMMED and POINT OF RETREAT have been optioned by a MOVIE producer!!!!!!!

WOW! 6 stars!! What a beautiful and powerful book! Definitely a MUST read!!

I loved this book for so many reasons... I loved that Will and Lake were wonderfully refreshing hero and heroine characters because they were realistic, smart, not annoying in any way and didn't make stupid decisions. I loved the author's writing style - its very simple but very powerful and its one of those books that really makes you feel what is going on with the characters.

I was completely and utterly shocked to find that I loved the Slam poetry. Boy is it powerful (I know I've used that word a lot here but it seems to be the best of that fits what I'm feeling). I've always hated poetry - was never able to absorb it or relate to it but in this book, it is so effecting in giving the reader a view of what is going on in the characters' head and heart.

I loved the intensity of Will and Lake's feelings for each other. I had butterflies in my stomach for most of the book and could stop turning the pages.

This book brought me to tears more than once. And my cheeks were damp throughout the whole final 10% or so. Loved it!!!

This book is about love and loss and life and death (not the death of the hero/heroine though, fear not lol).

I'd highly highly recommend it to pretty much anyone and everyone who loves to read.
Now I understand what all the fuss was about - everywhere I looked here, people were raving about it and now I'm joining that club!

I'm off to go read the sequel now - I can't wait to read more about Will and Lake...

Here's a slam quote:

I got schooled this year
a
Boy.

a boy that I'm seriously,
deeply, madly, incredibly,
and undeniably
in love
with.
And he taught me the most
important thing of all ...
To put the emphasis
On life.

My version of Will from Slammed:

For more of my reviews, visit Aestas Book Blog

And come join the Aestas Book Blog Facebook Page

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

Quotes Aestas Book Blog Liked

Colleen Hoover
“I got schooled this year
a
boy

A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love with.
And he taught me the most important thing of all...

To put the emphasis
On life .”

Colleen Hoover
“If I live the life I'm given, I won't be scared to die.”

Colleen Hoover
“Choose your battles, but don't choose very many.”

Colleen Hoover
“Don't take life too seriously. Punch it in the face when it needs a good hit. Laugh at it.”

04/09/2012
3.0% "I've liked it since page 1 - off to a good start :)"
04/09/2012
8.0% "Awwww they are adorable!"
22.0% "*gulp*"
04/09/2012
33.0% "Taking a break to make some chocolate chip cookies. I need comfort food right now lol. The book is awesome though! Just...*gulp*"
41.0% "Awwwwwwwwwwwww"
04/09/2012
58.0% "Gah! This book is so good!! But a little heartbreaking. But not in a bad way" 6 comments
04/09/2012
73.0% "I keep alternating between being broken hearted and grinning... I love this author's writing style. Very simple but very powerful. And I love that neither the hero or heroine is annoying or stupid" 4 comments
81.0% "Oh my god *crying* that was so sweet" 2 comments
04/09/2012
83.0% "I gotta say that in my own life I've always pretty much hated poetry but this book has totally changed my opinion. Seriously. This stuff is powerful - it gives me chills! I love it!!" 1 comment

message 1: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Great review Aestas. I have this my TBR list but wasn't sure if I would like it. I am curious about it though.

Aestas Book Blog Thanks :) I can't really imagine anyone NOT loving it. You should really bump it up on the TBR pile!

message 3: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Alyssa has been trying to talk me into reading it. She's talked me into moving it up to number two or three on the list. Lol. I told her that I'm reading Accordance next. I want to read more of Caleb...and Maggie too.

Aestas Book Blog well if you are in the middle of a series, you should totally finish it first. But you should definitely consider this as your next read after that :)

message 5: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay I don't mind breaking up a series with other books. It actually helps me so that I don't get burned out on the series.

Besides, I don't have the complete series yet! :)

Aestas Book Blog Lol ya I've been waiting to start them until the final book comes out. I'm the opposite, I have to read the whole series all at once (kinda makes juggling release dates tricky tho :p )

message 7: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay I didn't realize that there were going to be four books until yesterday. I saw that one, two and three were out so I wasn't concerned.

I also was unsure that I would like Significance. But I loved it.

Aestas Book Blog lol yay :) I can't wait to get around to them

✿Alyssa✿ Lindsay- after reading Aestas' awesome review and rating of this book, we're DEFINITELY reading it after Accordance, so get ready! :)

message 10: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Lol. Ok. I'm ready

Aestas Book Blog Yayay!!!! You guys are gonna LOVE it!!!! I'm excited for you guys to read it :)) book 2 is INTENSE!! I swear I haven't blinked for the last several chapters

✿Alyssa✿ Ahhh, intense books are my favorite! I have a feeling that Lindsay and I are definitely going to love these two books Aestas!

message 13: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Alyssa...is this a good time to tell you I already have the second book in this series?

✿Alyssa✿ Why you little..... You are way ahead of me girlfriend! I need to step it up, lol! I figured I was just going to buy them on Amazon whenever we're ready to read them though! You had better believe I'll make sure that I have the money in my account, hehe!

message 15: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Lol. Since people are loving them I requested both (at the same time) from Lendle. So I have both books ready to go.

Sorry!
Photobucket

message 16: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Apr 09, 2012 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Lol. Even though there isn't a cliffhanger, I'm pretty sure u guys'll want to go straight from book 1 to book 2 :) They are soooooo good!!!!

And daaaaaamn that kitten is cute lol

message 17: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Lol. Significance had an ending that made me want to go right from that to the next book in the series, but Alyssa has been telling me to read Thoughtless for months so I decided to do that before Accordance.

Doesn't the kitten look fluffy and soft? And sooooo adorable. I couldn't resist!

✿Alyssa✿ I want to snuggle with that kitten! Lindsay, I agree with Aestas! ...I have a feeling we'll read both Slammed and the second book back-to-back, hehe!

Aestas Book Blog I'm ordering these in hard cover for my bookshelf!!! such wonderful reads!!

✿Alyssa✿ Wow! You much have really loved these books Aestas! I hope I loved them as much as you did! :)

Aestas Book Blog I love finding new favorite books. Such a good feeling! I literally have no complaints about book 1 or 2 :)

✿Alyssa✿ That's always the BEST feeling in the world! :) *sigh* ...I love finding new favorite books!

message 23: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay I agree...that is the best feeling in the world.

Duchess Nicole I hadn't even heard of these, A. You're blowing through some books!

Aestas Book Blog OMG Nic, you HAVE to read them (its got a sequel)... they are soooo wonderful!! best books I've read since The Bronze Horseman :)

Duchess Nicole Btw, just how 'young adult' is it? Along the lines of Thoughtless, or more YA?

message 27: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Apr 12, 2012 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog um... (view spoiler) I'd say its less sexually graphic than Thoughtless but touches on much deeper issues. Although the sex level is more YA, the themes are much more adult. Dunno if that makes any sense. Its really a MUST read! Will and Lake are adorable together. Will is totally dreamy :)

Duchess Nicole Aestas **aka Crazinneldy** wrote: "OMG Nic, you HAVE to read them (its got a sequel)... they are soooo wonderful!! best books I've read since The Bronze Horseman :)"

Well, you know Lala and I are buddy reading Bronze Horseman. I've got a lot to catch up on before I can get to this one. And I completely agree with the lack of sex in YA. I don't necessarily mind no sex, it just sometimes makes the relationship less believable, less real.

Aestas Book Blog Duchess Nicole wrote: "Aestas **aka Crazinneldy** wrote: "OMG Nic, you HAVE to read them (its got a sequel)... they are soooo wonderful!! best books I've read since The Bronze Horseman :)"

Well, you know Lala and I are ..."

I know what you mean. I promise that this relationship feels totally real and totally believable :)

But you know I'll never ever say or do anything to keep anyone from reading The Bronze Horseman. So I'm just gonna be quiet now about this until those books are read lol :P

Duchess Nicole LOL! Sssshhhh, Crazinneldy!

message 32: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Hoover Awe, Aestas...why you gotta be so sweet and pimpin' my book like this? I hope you didn't buy them already, because I SO want to send you free signed copies. email me at colleenhoover@msn.com with your address. I'm making a post office run in a couple of hours. ;)

message 33: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Apr 12, 2012 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog *SQUEEEEE* omg Thank you so much!!! You have mail :)

And I gotta be pimpin' them out 'cuz they are just that wonderful!!

Aestas Book Blog OMGOMGOMGGGGG BOOK 3????? Is it true?!? Did I just read that blog post right?? *wide hopeful eyes*

Taryn at My Secret Romance I keep seeing this book everywhere. I guess another book I need to get very soon. :)

Aestas Book Blog yesyesyes Taryn you HAVE to read this book!!! it is AMAZINGGG and BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! *chants* read it next! read it next! read it next! :)

Natalie Im so exited to read this book now, it seems AWSOME! great review btw.

Aestas Book Blog thank you!!! I'm sure you will LOVE the book!!! Its one of the best I've read in a LONG time :)

message 39: by Natalie (last edited Apr 20, 2012 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Natalie I´m gonna order it, and the sequel today. Can´t wait to start reading. I NEED to read a 5 star book, was so long ago i did that, and i have a feeling th1s can be that *crossing my fingers*

Aestas Book Blog definitely 100% 5 stars!!! even a little more for me :)

message 41: by Natalie (last edited Apr 20, 2012 07:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Natalie oh goody, it is the best feeling in the word to find these books :)

Aestas Book Blog OMGOMGOMG LOOK WHAT JUST ARRIVED IN THE MAIL!!!! THANK YOU COLLEEN <3

message 43: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay That is SO cool Aestas!

I love signed books! Congrats on getting them!

✿Alyssa✿ I'm officially jealous Aestas! That's freaking awesome! :)

Duchess Nicole Yay! That's so exciting.

message 46: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Hoover Hey, go enter for your chance to win FIFTY of them!

www.colleenhoover.com

And feel free to spread the word.

Aestas Book Blog I just donated :)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Colleen wrote: "Hey, go enter for your chance to win FIFTY of them!

www.colleenhoover.com

And feel free to spread the word."

I'm going to donate as soon as the hubby gets home...he has my debit card. lol

What a fabulous way of getting donations for something so important. I have a huge box full of brand new books that are duplicates of ones I already have. I would love to do a giveaway on my blog like that, but mine aren't signed.

message 49: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Great review Aestas! I need to add, sounds great!

Aestas Book Blog thank you! I read them several weeks ago but both this book and its sequel were 6 stars reads for me. I just added a pic of Will now. They are really incredible books! Definitely MUST reads :D

« previous 1 3