Reut's Reviews > Scorch

Scorch by Gina Damico

Originally reviewed on reutreads, a young adult book blog.

The follow up to March's first installment in the Croak series, CROAK, is that rare second book that is like most middle-books in trilogies, a bridge from setup to finale, but also manages to improve on the first book. I can now safely say that CROAK and SCORCH are two of my favorite books from 2012.

While the synopsis makes it seem like most of the book takes place in DeMyse, this is pretty misleading, since it's to DeMyse that the characters run to after the rising action which mostly happens in my much-loved town of Croak. There's some really interesting stuff at work here, from the social and political scene of an extremely small town to the development of the "bad guys" and more. There are ideas presented in SCORCH that alternately broke my heart and made me want to sleep with the lights on.

If I had to pick one word to describe SCORCH it would be intense. I laughed, I almost burst into tears on a few separate occasions, and when it was over I sat in silence trying to formulate my thoughts before walking aimlessly around my house for around ten minutes banging my head against various objects and saying "no, no, no" under my breath.

Damico achieves a fantastic balance of answering just enough of a question, wrapping up plotlines, and introducing more twists and more turns. I have honestly no idea how some things in this series will wrap up, given what some of Damico's choices were in SCORCH. Let me just say: Driggs. I love you so, so much.

I was putty in Damico's hands as she led me through laughs, heartbreaking moments and  soul-crushing twists. She did it once and she did it again: Gina Damico has absolutely slayed me (pun very much intended) with SCORCH.

***

Favorite quote:
“Broccoli spaceship. Broccoli SPACESHIP!”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorch.

Quotes Reut Liked

Gina Damico
“Broccoli spaceship. Broccoli SPACESHIP!”

Gina Damico
“Yeah, well, love doesn't always beat out the fear."
"Sometimes it does," he replied with a smile, pecking her on the nose.
"Christ, Driggs. You're turning into a Lifetime movie."
"Your defense mechanisms are captivating, as always.”

Gina Damico
“And I got myself a camel," Cordy finished with a smile.
Lex stared at her. "Why?"
"Duh, Lex, because I can .”

“You lied to me!"
"You're going to have to be more specific. What did I lie to you about this time?”

Gina Damico
“Fine!" he relented, giving her a dirty look. "But only if you stay in front."
She rolled her eyes. "My, what chivalry."
"To hell with chivalry. Your idea, you die first.”