Chris Lemmerman's Reviews > Flashpoint

Flashpoint by Geoff Johns

Mar 26, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-comics-and-manga-read
Read from March 24 to 26, 2012

Flashpoint is the recipient of both disdain and adoration since it is the springboard from which the New 52 has sprung. Whatever your feelings on the New 52, I think it's worth looking at Flashpoint on its own merits as a story, rather than the consequences of it.

Flashpoint manages to introduce and flesh out a complete world in 5 issues. Whilst there are lots of side stories that you may be interested in, and can therefore follow into the tie-ins (and there are many!), there is enough to understand and appreciate the world of Flashpoint just in the main series alone. I felt like this wasn't the case when reading the series in singles, but having re-read the entire collection, I feel it did accomplish this quite well. There's a sense of impending danger throughout, and this grows and grows until the final two issues have everything hit the fan. Geoff Johns hits the right notes with this story, making sure that it feels epic enough to be a universe wide event whilst still being very Barry Allen-centric, as much a character piece as having line-wide impact.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flashpoint.