Kellie's Reviews > Color Him Orange: The Jim Boeheim Story

Color Him Orange by Scott Pitoniak

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, autobiography-biography-memoir
Read from March 24 to 30, 2012

This book was everything I thought it would be and then some. The beginning of the book gives you history of Boeheim’s childhood in Lyons, NY. Friends and family provide the appropriate background of a guy who grew up loving the game of basketball. He lived and breathed it. He inherited his competitive side from his father who was the owner of a funeral home. Boeheim played highschool basketball with most of the friends he grew up with that played on a court in his driveway. Fellow players, even back then, commented on how smart jim was about the game of basketball. Looking at him, people didn’t think he could play a decent game. But, he surprised everyone. After highschool, Boeheim decided to try out for the SU Basketball team as a walk on. He made it and received a full scholarship as a Sophmore. Jim’s roommate was Dave Bing. A great player who became good friends with jim. After Boeheim finished at SU, he played some pro ball but his true desire was coaching. He became an assistant coach under Roy Danforth. After Danforth left in 1976, Boeheim took over. The book takes you through every year of SU basketball from that year to 2011. I loved reliving some of the moments I remembered watching as a kid. I learned how the rivalry between Georgetown and SU got started. The last game at Manley field house was a match between SU and the Hoyas. Hoyas won and John Thompson was quoted as saying “Manley Field House has officially closed”. That pissed everybody off. You also get a feel for why Boeheim doesn’t have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the media. He was also not afraid to speak his mind about it. When the Post Standard wrote that Gerry Mcnamara was overrated. Not only did Boeheim go off, but Gerry ended up proving everyone wrong with some great games after the article hit the newspapers. This book also gives you an insight on some of the players who played for Boeheim over the years. My impression of Carmelo Anthony changed after reading this book. He contributed $3M toward the construction of a basketball practice facility at SU. He opend a Youth Development Center in Baltimore in 2006. He is listed as 8th in the Giving Back 30 Lit of Largest Charitable Donations by Celebrities in 2006”. I loved reading about the National Championship SU won in 2003. I watched that tournament and was thrilled for Boeheim as a fan. He finally got the monkey off his back. I thought this book gave a great depiction of Boeheim, Syracuse Basketball and all the great players who have played for SU through out the years. It does touch on some unfavorable aspects, like the NCAA violations, Jim’s cancer, his divorce and his somewhat prickly personality. I still admire him. I still love SU basketball and this book makes me love it even more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Color Him Orange.