Vickie's Reviews > The Odyssey

The Odyssey by Homer

Mar 24, 2012

bookshelves: first-year-university, classics

A quick note - I actually have the Richard Lattimore translation of Homer's "Odyssey".

I was really excited when I got my reading list and spotted "The Odyssey". It was a text that I had been meaning to read ever since the first time I went over to my boyfriend's house and he remarked that it was the best book that he had ever read. Considering that he doesn't usually like to read, this meant something to me.

Anyway.

Its a beautiful epic poem concerning our hero, Odysseus and his struggle to gain the status of the epic hero after a long absence from home. He encounters raging gods, monsters and his wife's persistent suitors. My Lecturer remarked of their reconciliation scene that it was "the most beautiful reconciliation scene in literature".

At first I didn't like it, I found it hard to let go of the fact that it is a poem (I don't like to admit it as an English student, but I don't tend to get on board with poems), but once I opened up my mind to it, it was really worth it. It's got a little bit of something for everyone, but I've heard that it is best read after reading "The Illiad" for a better comprehension.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Odyssey.