Catherine's Reviews > The Hourglass Door

Mar 24, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-finish, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

I tried; I really tried to get through this book. I kept wanting this book to get better. I made it to chapter 12 alternating between being annoyed with the writing and liking some parts of the story. I had to completely re-read chapter 10 because I wondered if I skipped a page somewhere. This story lacks transitions and needs them badly. I don't care for the main character at all. Mangum doesn't even discribe her enough to make me want to like her. Dante is at least interesting, but not enough to make me want to read past page 158.

I think Condie (who wrote Matched) also stole some of her love triangle for Matched from this novel. That or we have too many writers who believe that seventeen year old girls need to choose their life partner from the friendly and reliable boyfriend they have known all their lives (meaning: boring) or the dangerous stranger (meaning: exciting). The teen angst drives me crazy as does a story line that is far too hard to follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hourglass Door.

Annalisa Lisa (I normally refer to authors by their last name, but I know her so she's Lisa) was Condie's editor at Deseret Book and they're close friends (Lisa still reads/edits Condie's stuff). It wouldn't surprise me if they've influenced each other.

Catherine That is good to know. I struggled through both books and couldn't bring myself to finish this one. I have heard that they are both very nice ladies though.

Annalisa Very nice. I was in a writing group with Lisa and she was very helpful, a very detail-oriented editor. I've only met Allie a few times, but she is also very nice, and even though she got a huge advance, she hasn't let it go to her head. She's very down-to-earth.