Chrystal Grcevich's Reviews > Torn

Torn by Erica O'Rourke

7292014
Mar 24, 12

Recommended to Chrystal by: Won the sequel on Goodreads
Recommended for: Anyone looking for a good novel to keep them occupied for an afternoon
Read from March 21 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This book was great! Sure, the plot is predictable in places, it's a light read, the scenario is unlikely (nerdy girl gets two hot guys??), but I find it so refreshing to have these things once in awhile. The purpose of a fantasy book is to be fun and extreme. I like the concept! Why not make it grandiose? Kudos to the author for taking the road less followed. I love to read about the not-so-likely heroes and heroines because it brings the impossible down a notch or two. Maura is a good girl who follows the rules, but she snaps when her best friend dies and begins to take control of her own destiny. She makes some terrible choices, but she learns throughout the story that, while it's nice to have a normal life full of normal things and normal decisions, sometimes going out of the way to make her own choice has its rewards. Unfortunately, she realizes the consequences of her hasty and selfish decisions a little too late.

I think that we all do this, to some extent, right? The best part of the book is that Maura does realize at the end what it is she has to do to repair a bit of what she caused. She turns from a selfish little girl who only wants what SHE wants into a young lady who does something for the better good. If you want a quick but engaging story, then I recommend this book wholeheartedly. If you're looking for something complex with overly detailed (and unnecessary) characters, well, look further. This is not one of those books, and it is the perfect type of novel for me! Remember that this is a young adult novel. Vapidity and simple themes always run rampant in this genre. That's why I go for them; my life is way too complicated to read a book that requires flipping back and forth because you haven't picked up the book in a day or two.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torn.