Bonnie's Reviews > Daughter of the Blood

F 50x66
Aug 21, 08

it was ok
Read in August, 2008

I think this book gave me brain herpes. A good read, but horrible. The characters are caricatures. The world is nigh-incomprehensible (who includes a list of jewel ranks and titles (broken down by gender), but not a freaking map? especially when this place apparently uses interdimensional travel?!) I wish I could feel sympathetic to the characters- but they all remind me of a too-perfect job interview: "my only flaw is that I love my work... too much." The plot is well-paced, and makes good use of cliffhangers- but there's just too much else wrong with it to make me want to read the next one.

...and who names their characters Saetan (very obviously meant as an analogue to Satan, the devil, what-have-you) and Daemon- but doesn't bring along any of the associated mythology or world-pieces? Yes, supposedly Saetan rules in Hell, but Hell here is context-free (as there's no religion-system here), and Saetan is rather depicted as a bumbling daddy-figure who likes to give his "daughter of the soul" whatever she wants. Sure, that's kind of Satanic, in a sense, but not quite the sense the author wants, I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Blood.

02/07 marked as: read

Elegant Elbow The world is nigh-incomprehensible (who includes a list of jewel ranks and titles (broken down by gender), but not a freaking map?

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I would also have liked a clear explanation of relationships. I couldn't remember who was related to who.

Anne Bishop has more daddy issues than Tim Burton!

One of my major problem with Bishop's writing (this series and also the Ephemera series) is that everything seems to be happening inside a black box. I didn't get nearly enough description of the surroundings, the people to visualize exactly what was going on. It felt like the universe was made out of cardboard with a few splashes of color.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy "Brain herpes" Just got to say I love that!

message 3: by Virginia (new)

Virginia OMG - Brain Herpes! I just wanted to say, AWESOME for that phrase. I may just have to steal it. :)

Pluto Planet of Love Completely correct. I couldn't remember who the characters were half the time, and things that should have stood out to me (such as the heroine meeting a dragon and a unicorn) were barely noticeable, much less memorable. The names were laughable too. Saetan? Really?

message 5: by Sunny (new)

Sunny Well I definitely don't want brain herpes. ouch

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim It *is* kindof hard to grasp everything in the beginning, but believe me, this series is awesome! Just keep on reading

Jackie Too bad u didnt like it. The series is great if u could just open ur mind a little.

Katie it's called an imagination. it's one of the themes of the book. use yours. also, why do you need a map? does it matter where anything is? No. not remotely. it isn't the least bit important to the story, and as to the character relationships being so confused and muddled, that was also part of the story. "family" and "blood relatives" are not the same thing at all.

Patrick Saetan is the old way of spelling Satan, or so I've heard. Same with Daemon

Flightless MY OPINION, TOO, we seem to be in agreement. I enjoyed you use of the phrase "brain herpes"

Kirsten I would of liked to see a map but you don't really need one knowing where places are doesnt matter at all to the story, they don't even travel any where they use gates.. also I had no trouble what so ever at remeberin characters. I think the whole series was awesome

message 12: by Seth (new)

Seth i personally have never read something so full of misandry. what was the point of the books except for Anne Bishop to vent her hatred of men? she makes a point of saying the man mutilated in the beginning is innocent of any crimes.
so what was the point?
more men are mutilated, followed by endless accounts of stating, 'all men are evil and need to be mutilated and killed while still young.' all the characters have the same lust for mutilating genitals, they are all the same flat character, i.e. a reflection of Anne's lust for mutilation.
is this the type of fantasy we want our impressionable young daughters to engage in? these books come with no warning.
if the same mutilation was directed at women, people would be outraged. instead people are defending the hate and violence in these books.

message 13: by Sara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sara Oh my lord you had me at brain herpes...awesome.

Katie @seth were you high when you read this or did you just not finish the series? That's not remotely what this book is about, and for the record, her previous series DOES show this level of violence (worse, in my opinion) towards women. The point of the this book was to show how wrong and twisted things have become in this world thanks to Dorthea and Hekta's influence, and Saetan's withdrawl. You really have to read all 3 books to get the story.

message 15: by Jagoda (new) - added it

Jagoda Brain Herpes lol

Seraphinix ROFL BRAIN HERPES LMAO!!!!!!!!

Light Blue Butter Brain herpes...yep, wish I'd read your review before I started!