Peyton's Reviews > The Thirteenth Tale

3642065
Mar 24, 2012

bookshelves: 5-stars
Read from March 24 to 27, 2012

This is hands-down, without-a-doubt, by far the most fantastic novel I have read in a long, long time. I loved every paragraph, every word of this phenomenal book. Setterfield is like a gourmet chef, mixing a dollop of The Go-Between and Atonement with a pinch of The Haunting of Hill House and a dash of The Turn of the Screw , and slow-boiling the whole concoction with several spoonfuls of her own special, secret ingredients.

The result is a tantalizing feast of heartbreak, redemption, trauma, rediscovery, and a haunting chill that kept me glancing over my shoulder as I read late into the night. I can already feel my fingers itching to pick up the book and start all over again. If you only ever read one novel in your life, make it this one. But keep all the lights on and the mirrors shrouded, and be sure to take time to step into the sunshine and be thankful for the light on your skin and the air in your lungs.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Tale.

04/25/2016 marked as: read