Rike Jokanan's Reviews > Dulu Aku Tikus! atau Sepatu Merah

Dulu Aku Tikus! atau Sepatu Merah by Philip Pullman

Aug 13, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended for: anyone liking fantasy
Read in March, 2008

This book reminds me to a writing workshop I attended several years ago. In one session, the participants were guided to write stories by twisting existing fairy tales. Local myths and legends were recommended. many of the participants chose Cinderella as their source tale. As a result, popped up various versions of the beautiful orphan with twisted characters, twisted start, twisted family, twisted plot, twisted setting, twisted end even twisted names. Most of them put tragic comedy rather than romantic happiness as the endings.

Pullman's I was a Rat is a kind of extendedly twisted story. Although the readers are made unaware at the beginning, they are let unveil the soure of the story at the lattest phase of reading. The secret's unveiled in the end.

Aside from everything, it is anice tale to be introduced to kids for their read. There is a part of the book in which the plot is slowing down making the readers impatient or maybe bored. but don't worry, we can skip some then return to it later. The book is not as complicated as Harry Potter -- Phillip Pullman's strength is more in his fresh idea rather than his witty language.

Hope it enlightens :-)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dulu Aku Tikus! atau Sepatu Merah.

message 1: by ice (new) - rated it 4 stars

ice Bravo Keani, I like your review.