Jenn's Reviews > How Rocket Learned to Read

How Rocket Learned to Read by Tad Hills

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: eced221, new-and-noteworthy
Read in March, 2012

This is the story of a dog named Rocket, a little yellow bird, and how the two work together to help Rocket learn to read. Rocket accidentally finds out that he can't read when he lays under a sign that says "class starts today" to take a nap and is rudely awaken by the little yellow bird who we find out is Rocket's teacher.
This story is well developed in plot and character as much as it could be for a children's picture book. The plot was cute and could very easily keep the attention of young reader's. The characters that were present within the story were few, but the two main characters, Rocket and the little yellow bird were developed in one picture. The language of the text was skillfully crafted. The author incorporated text into the illustrations as well. He used different illustrations to show a word. For example, he spelled out the word mud into the mud in one of the illustrations in the story. The illustrations definitely help out the story. The use of colors, framing, and shading help develop the story further. The integration of text and illustrations is excellent in this book. They play very well off of each other and definitely help to clarify what is occurring in the story.
I really enjoyed this story. It was cute and would definitely be useful when talking with younger readers. I feel that this story relates to my life because of the way that Rocket was learning to read. He would put words in or on whatever the item was. Growing up, I would make letters out of an object that started with that letter. I feel that this would be a great book to use in the classroom and a lesson tied to the alphabet could very easily be written to incorporate this book. Overall, a great book for preschool and kindergarten classrooms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Rocket Learned to Read.