Oddmonster's Reviews > The Cheshire Cat's Eye

1962180
Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: california-eats-its-young, haunted-houses, san-francisco
Read from March 24 to August 31, 2012

It was interesting to me to come to this 3rd book in the Sharon McCone series directly after the 4th one (Games to Keep the Dark Away) because that's one of my favorites in the series, and this one...isn't.

Despite being about SF's famed "Painted Ladies" and the romance of architecture in general, this book felt much less polished than its successor. The mystery unfolds in fits and starts, and parts of it felt like McCone was turning into the suspects' therapist. There's a whole murder in here that really never gets a second look, which was strange.

But at the same time, Muller has Sharon tackle thorny race and gender issues and be honestly uncomfortable with what she finds and uncomfortable with her own unresolved politics, which was challenging and refreshing.

I disliked her romantic involvement with homicide inspector Greg, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Basically even a lesser Sharon McCone still comes in strong. There's a reason this series is a classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cheshire Cat's Eye.