Jess (Gone with the Words)'s Reviews > Various Positions

Oct 04, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, read-2012
Read from October 01 to 02, 2012, read count: 1

Read this review on my blog! --> Various Positions by Martha Schabas

Let me start by saying that if you’re looking for a book about ballet, this isn’t it. I think that coming of age stories are vast and all kinds of different. For this particular character, it was a confusing time. She’s at an age where I think most boys and girls are most curious about sex, with their changing bodies and all those new hormones. I also believe her home life and all the questions she has about her parent’s relationship contributed to her thoughts and actions. So, really, her story wasn’t shocking to me. It really wasn’t hard to get through. I got it. I think I probably would have had a problem with it had the ending been different.

With that said, I don’t think this book will appeal to everyone, as you can probably deduce from the very mixed reviews this book has gotten since its release. What’s funny is that Various Positions was released as Adult Fiction in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and YA here in the US. Normally it’s the other way around. There are quite a lot of sexual references and some sexual situations that might make people uncomfortable, and not just because it’s coming from a fourteen year old girl. I do want to point out that nothing illegal happens in this book, so don’t let that scare you away. Are there situations that are questionable? Yes, but it’s part of her journey.

I thought the writing was great though. It’s engrossing and it flows seamlessly. At times I did think Georgia sounded too mature for her age, especially when at other times her insecurities, vulnerability, and innocence were very obvious.

Various Positions might be a truer title on how readers will feel after reading it. From reading several reviews, most everyone has their own unique take. If you feel like taking a chance on something different, something that might take you out of your comfort zone, give it a shot.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Various Positions.

03/25/2012 page 68
10/01/2012 page 235
69.0% 4 comments

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Oh good luck! I hope you enjoy it more than I did :)