Geoff's Reviews > In Other Rooms, Other Wonders

In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin

Mar 27, 12

Read in March, 2012

Interesting stories, understated but empathetic storytelling. Almost an upstairs/downstairs thing which I think is better when the stories are about the lower class peasants, servants, and other workers and their relationship to each other and their "masters" than when the stories are just about the rich. But it's hard to separate the upstairs from the downstairs I guess, which maybe is the point, and there are some poignant moments when we realize how mistaken each "side" can be about the other even when well-intentioned toward one another. I like the stories, but although they are considered "Chekhovian" or whatever, they feel a little empty to me somehow--not because of the characters really, because they are pretty well drawn-out, but rather because of the narrator, who in contriving to remain clear-eyed, gentle, and "removed" made me sometimes forget to care about the stories at all. 3.5 or 3.75 stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Other Rooms, Other Wonders.