Mayra's Reviews > Bright Young Things

Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

F 50x66
Nov 22, 12

After reading this book, I fell in love with the 1920's. I read Vixen, by Jillian Larkin, not long after, and compared the two, and I decided I liked Bright Young Things better, because it did not only center around flappers, but all the aspects of New York in the 1920's. I feel like Astrid is the one who represents the flappers, and Cornelia represents the bootleggers and gang wars and Letty the talented entertainer girls.
Cornelia and Letty came from old-fashioned families in Ohio but split up on their first night in New York. Cornelia soon became friends with Astrid and found her bootlegger father, Darius Grey, while Letty lived in Manhattan with other performers and became a cigarette girl at a speakeasy, then found other, better jobs.
I would say that Letty was my favorite of the three, probably because she's the one who really gets to experience the grit of the real world. She puts herself out there. She can be kind of naive, but she's also daring. Astrid was okay. She can be a bit annoying and stupid, but there HAS to be someone like her in every book, right?
Cordelia bothered me. I don't know, she just seemed a little...over entitled? To men, to futures, to turf? She just turned into a gangster really easily? She is definitely persistent and a hard-worker, but she's so cold and almost too poised that I don't know how anyone could like her.
I have read The Great Gatsby and sometimes Bright Young Things seems more like fanfiction than anything else. But Godbersen is great at dialogue and I plan to read the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Young Things.