Lady Wesley's Reviews > Blame It on Bath

Blame It on Bath by Caroline Linden

May 17, 13

bookshelves: favorites, amz-rev
Read from March 24 to 25, 2012

This is a delightful follow-on to One Night in London, part of The Truth About the Duke trilogy. The three deLacey brothers, sons of the late Duke of Durham, are trying to find a blackmailer and secure evidence to show whether their father was a bigamist. If he was, they will be considered bastards and lose virtually all of their inheritance.

What I Liked
• Captain Lord Gerard deLacey. He's handsome (of course), brash, adventurous, and loyal. He's the youngest son, serving in the wars against Napoleon. Under any circumstances his fortune will be relatively small, so he's decided to be on the lookout for a rich bride while he travels to Bath to track down information on the blackmailer. When a perfectly strange wealthy woman proposes a marriage of convenience, he barely hesitates before deciding to take on the challenge.

• Kate deLacey. You can't help but feel sorry for her at first. She's hardly had an enjoyable life, despite her wealth. Her vain, narcissistic mother has convinced her she's too plain to attract a man and married her off to a middle-aged viscount, who ignored and abused her. Now that he's dead, her mother is pressuring her to marry the viscount's odious heir, convinced that nobody better will ever come along. Kate is such a doormat that she doubts her ability to withstand her mother's pressure. The most enjoyable part of the book is watching her emerge from her shell, in response to Gerard's kindness and attention. She doesn't become a "beauty," but rather simply a beautiful person.

• Sexytimes. Gerard wants to break down Kate's defenses, and she discovers her previously unknown wanton side. Excellent love scenes.

• The love story. Kate harbors a childhood passion for Gerard, but he has no memory of meeting her. Linden does an excellent job of showing Gerard's surprise and wonder as he gradually finds himself falling in love with his wife. This is just a very sweet story.

What I Didn't Like
• Not a lot of progress is made toward resolving the mystery, but after the first book, I came to realize that it wouldn't be wrapped up until the third.

• As a 21st century woman, I often have trouble understanding an 19th century woman's desperation to get married. Linden mentions several times that a widow was almost as independent as a man, so it was difficult to see why Kate thought marriage, or death, was her only way to avoid the odious heir. It was hard to believe that she was so cowed by her mother. She was so spineless in this regard, but yet showed great spirit elsewhere.

(view spoiler)

These two volumes of The Truth About the Duke were my first Caroline Linden reads, and I find her writing crisp and witty. She does not indulge in one of my pet peeves, namely using an abundance of one-word sentences and one-sentence paragraphs. It's a pleasure to read someone who knows and uses the English language so well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blame It on Bath.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Blacky *Romance Addict* Wonderful review Lady W :))))

Lady Wesley Thanks, Blacky. This one is a goodie!

message 3: by Deniz (new) - added it

Deniz great review!!

Lady Wesley Deniz wrote: "great review!!"

Thank you, Deniz. As you can tell, I really enjoyed this entire series.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Excellent review LW. Lovely to read even if I can't keep up with your recommendations but WANT to!