lifeinsomniac's Reviews > The Book of Summers

The Book of Summers by Emylia Hall

Mar 24, 2012

Recommended for: For anyone that believes in second chances and that it's never too late.
Read from February 06 to March 23, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This book was an absolute surprise for me. Taking place in both present and past times, spanning across countries, we follow Beth Lowe as she looks through a scrapbook sent from an old friend, and created by her estranged mother. This book, called The Book of Summers, unlocks everything from 6 years she spent in Hungary, and the time surrounding it. The Book of Summers doesn’t only unlock those moments, they unlock a young Beth, and other feelings, and thoughts Beth thought she had left behind.

Emylia really cares about her characters: no matter what they’ve done you feel for them, you understand their reasons, you want them to be okay. This can be really difficult to achieve but Emylia makes it look easy. It’s important for me to like the characters, to want to follow their story, and see them succeed, and this Emylia manages to do with all of them.

Another thing the author manages to do is make you really feel the places you are in. There are no lengthy, boring descriptions, but she describes them well, you can see those places, feel them, want to be there. I mean I was ready to get a plane ticket to Hungary because of her book, and you can tell her love for this place, having travelled to Hungary herself since the Berlin Wall came down.

This is a book about re-awakenings, about never being too late, and to never ignore your heart. I fell in love with this book, the people, and the places, and I will be reading this again!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Summers.