Maria João 's Reviews > Flaubert in Egypt: A Sensibility on Tour

Flaubert in Egypt by Gustave Flaubert

May 04, 12

Read from April 11 to May 03, 2012

Flaubert's travel notes and personal letters on Egypt are an absolute delight!
For those who haven't been in this magnificent country, this book will enhance even further the notion one has of the historical remains that still lay there, against the test of time, waiting for a visit. Additionally, all the mystique around the Arab culture and religion, with its peculiarities and sometimes contradictions, when viewed and described through a XIX century magnifying glass, are even more romantic and surreal!
For those, such as myself, who have had the privilege to visit Egypt, this book allows a wonderful exercise of comparison. One peaks into an Egypt without massive hordes of tourists, 5-star hotels nor big cruise boats spoiling an otherwise perfect landscape of water, fertile green land and pure desert.
And I finish with a quote from one of Flaubert's letters to his mother, because he has captured perfectly my exact feelings while traveling in Egypt: "... you ask me whether the Orient is up to what I imagined it to be. Yes, it is; and more than that, it extends far beyond the narrow idea I had of it. I have found, clearly delineated, everything that was hazy in my mind. Facts have taken the place of suppositions - so excellently so that it is often as though I were suddenly coming upon old forgotten dreams."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flaubert in Egypt.

Quotes Maria João Liked

Gustave Flaubert
“You ask me whether the Orient is up to what I imagined it to be. Yes, it is; and more than that, it extends far beyond the narrow idea I had of it. I have found, clearly delineated, everything that was hazy in my mind. Facts have taken the place of suppositions - so excellently so that it is often as though I were suddenly coming upon old forgotten dreams.”
Gustave Flaubert, Flaubert in Egypt: A Sensibility on Tour