Michael Hirsch's Reviews > Deep State

Deep State by Walter Jon Williams

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction

Why is it that almost every book I've really liked lately are about computer and role playing games in some way? It's particularly funny because I don't like computer games or RPGs. I guess I like them in abstract, I've just never found one that I enjoyed in reality.

Anyway, this one is about Dagmar, a women who produced Alternate Reality Games--games that take place in the real world. She lays out clues and hires actors to play a few roles, but the rest of the game is played by the players who hang out online collaborating on solving the puzzles and attend live events to see the story unfold.

Usually, she is hired by, say, a movie company to produce a game as part of the marketing for a blockbuster movie. (The book starts with her doing a James Bond game.) Or perhaps the game characters all drink a particular brand of alcohol. So the games are fun for the participants, but the game is produced for another reason.

Dagmar gets hired to bring her skills to overthrowing a military government. Naturally, it stops being a game. Things start to deteriorate and the fun begins.

I like Walter Jon Williams in general, but this is the best I've read, yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep State.