Christian Fiction Addiction's Reviews > The Messenger

The Messenger by Siri Mitchell

The Messenger breathes with intrigue, fascinates with interesting historical details, and ultimately entertains while stirring your faith. Hannah and Jeremiah are characters who will long stay with me, as by the end of the novel they seemed like fast friends who I wished existed in real life. Hannah's dedication to honesty, despite her role as a spy, left me longing for people today to also be committed to such integrity. Jeremiah's sense of justice is likewise admirable, and I felt deeply his uncertainties due to having one arm and believing this made him less of a man. I greatly enjoyed watching their growth as characters, and found myself often pondering pearls of wisdom that are tucked in amidst the story, thoughts and comments on faith and life.

The aspect I most enjoyed were the times the characters wrestled with difficult questions. Hannah's involvement in the Quaker faith was completely absorbing, and the author's choice to pair this with Hannah's role as a spy was brilliant! Hannah had to make some incredibly difficult choices, between doing what she felt God would have her do, or doing what her fellow believers and her parents would have her do. Hannah and Jeremiah are, ultimately, obedient to such a calling to do what is right, what God desires, despite a tremendously high cost to making these choices. They are committed to treating others with dignity, regardless of their place in society, a sentiment that was not widely embraced in the historical setting of this novel. As such, their example is one worthy of emulation indeed.

I greatly enjoyed this novel from start to finish, from the wonderful characters to the intricate plot, to the way my faith was challenged. I highly recommend this book and award it 5 out of 5 stars.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Messenger.