Rachel Cotterill's Reviews > The Guardian's Deceit

The Guardian's Deceit by Patrick Reinken

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, crime-thriller, indie-and-small-press
Read from March 24 to 30, 2012

I've really enjoyed Patrick Reinken's previous work, so I started reading The Guardian's Deceit with high expectations, and I wasn't disappointed.

From the very first chapter, and the way that he reacts to finding three people shot dead in the side room of his local church, it's clear that Vector is no ordinary maths teacher. In fact, he was sent to Long Prairie by the Secret Service, specifically to guard the young woman who has just been abducted. He heads back to Washington DC to report, but when his superiors try to take him off the case, Vector's sense of duty kicks in and he isn't willing to be so easily dismissed. The resulting tale follows Vector across the country as he hunts for Jessica and the men behind her disappearance. Meanwhile, we also see glimpses of a war halfway around the world and events unfolding in the White House, and as the plot progresses everything starts to come together.

This is a fairly long book, but it keeps up a breakneck pace and I didn't want to put it down. An enjoyable read, and I hope there will be more Vector Smith novels to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guardian's Deceit.