Jerry's Reviews > A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World

A Praying Life by Paul E. Miller

Dec 16, 2012

Read from May 22 to December 16, 2012

It's funny, I don't ever recall hearing teaching about how to pray. This books speaks to this question wonderfully. Paul Miller's work here is awesome. Transparent and touching, he infuses his 32 chapters with personal stories, and the topic really becomes practical as a result. His stories will encourage you, but they will also exemplify what a biblical approach to prayer looks like. His ability to be transparent causes one to easily remember and meditate on the principles discussed.

I loved the first 2/3rds of the book. Toward the end, I felt Miller went a bit outside of the topic on hand. If prayer is such an important part of one's life, as he suggests, then I certainly won't hold it against him to get a bit off topic, tackling other issues related to the Christian life.

Also, I appreciate him not focusing too much on the idea of 'receiving a word from God.' As a cessationist myself, I was leery about this, but was happy to see it really only discussed in one short chapter. That chapter, in my opinion, was weak and didn't make a good argument for the idea, but it did contain some good thoughts despite my disagreement.

I do highly recommend this book. I see myself already going back to read through things that stood out to me. I loved Miller's work, and I look forward to seeing how God will use it in my life even more in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Praying Life.

message 1: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Let me know what you think of this. I have it for Kindle but don't know much about the author or the book.

Jerry I will. I've just started and will be reading at my slow, personal-growth pace (about 40-50 pages per week). First impression was really good. Powlison does the intro, which says a lot. So far, the use of scripture is minimal, but there is a lot of wisdom in what he is sharing. I'm not too far into it though; hopefully the use of scripture increases.