Eric's Reviews > Shades of Milk and Honey

1964658
Mar 24, 12

Recommended for: Fans of Parasol Protectorate series
Read from March 23 to 24, 2012, read count: 1

I can't put a finger on why I was so drawn to this book. I read the sample chapter that was available and I was just drawn in. Ms. Kowal's writing is smooth and easy and very readable. I really enjoyed this read.

It is only fair to explain that I have not read many of the classics often cited as inspirations, so I won't try to make comparisons to them. I do think it would be fair to tie this loosely to the Parasol Protectorate series. I expect that fans of Ms. Carriger's work will find this novel similarly entertaining. The main difference is with the level of fantasy / supernatural involvement. Ms. Kowal's work is less broad and less tied to magical creatures. The magic is supplementary to the setting... where other books sharing magic and fantasy in the setting depend on it much more obviously.

Perhaps not initially giving this book the credit it deserved spurred me to dive into it as quickly as I did. Somehow I expected more adventure and excitement based on the idea that magic was involved in the world. By the time I realized this was not the case, I was completely hooked on likable, believable characters and dashed onward to the end of the book. Something outside my ordinary paths, but well worth the travel to get there. I'm giving this book 4.5 stars. An excellent read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Milk and Honey.