Lynne Spreen's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Apr 10, 12

Read in March, 2012

Sat down with Wild last night and couldn't let go until I'd read 97 pages. FABULOUS work. Can't wait to get back to it. More later.

Okay, I just finished it last night, and here are my reactions: first, Cheryl Strayed does a masterful job of making you feel the depths to which she sank in the aftermath of losing her mother, and as her siblings and step-dad spun away from each other in a grief spiral. Next, I was enthralled by her journey on the Pacific Crest Trail. As a native Californian, I've seen those trailheads all over the state, and wondered who would dare the journey. I wouldn't fear animals so much as a pack of humans lying in wait. Although this was in the mid-90s, and maybe it was safer then, I still can't believe her good luck in not being robbed, raped, or/and killed.

Having said that, one of the aspects of this story I enjoyed the most was her youthful vibrancy. Cheryl at 27 was smart, pretty and sexual, yet all of it was without artifice or pretense. She was a strong young animal - and I mean that with 100% admiration - on a quest. Her open-hearted reaction to people, particularly the Three Young Bucks who were like little brothers to her, and the sense of sharing and camaraderie on the trail helped heal her wounds. Without giving anything away, she has some scary moments that would have stopped me in my tracks, making a beeline back for safety, but she persevered. And I guess that's the reason I had such a great feeling when I finished this book: Cheryl's journey leaves you with the feeling that you can persevere, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.