Terri Rochenski's Reviews > Pyxis: The Discovery

Pyxis by K.C. Neal

Mar 27, 12

Read from March 24 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy

Hmmmmmmm. Well I'll be honest. I had a hard time deciding on how many stars I wanted to give this novel. 3 wasn't enough, but 4 pushes it a bit for me. I'm not a huge YA fan, but I don't feel that affected my star choice here.

Ms. Neal wrote a unique story--the magic involved isn't something I've ever read about before. That being said, I had a few moments where I had a problem with the believability factor. Granted, we're reading about high schoolers, but would two girls really run an experiment on humans--especially since they have NO IDEA what these strange liquids are? Seems a bit dangerous to me. How would they know one might not cause death? How do they know one wouldn't cause cancer like Corinne's, the MC, brother fought? These characters are not stupid, but this was one dumb choice IMO.

Then Ang gets mad at at Corinne for continuing the experiment when she wasn't around, & gave her the silent treatment. That IS a highschool thing to do, but it was Ang's idea to begin with. Didn't understand that one bit.

And my final gripe, why did the grandmother think to write Corinne a letter about her heritage, but not speak to her? And, why give the letter to the elderly Protector, when Corinne's great aunt was still living? Seemed a bit contrived to me.

Personally, I love to know there are more books to follow, but I gotta be honest. When I read 'End' I cussed. I hate cliff hanger endings with novels. Chapter endings, yes! By all means!! But to leave us hanging w/ out a complete arc in a single novel drives me nuts.

While this book tugs on the heart strings & drew my empathy at times, it wasn't a stand alone in my eyes. For that and the believability factor I give it 3.5 stars.

I WILL be buying & reading the next one, though. Gotta know how the whole story ends.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pyxis.