Leanne's Reviews > The Forever Girl

The Forever Girl by Rebecca  Hamilton

Mar 23, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads-ebooks-for-review
Read in April, 2012

*Received e-book through the Early Reviewers program from LibraryThing for an honest review
**more like 4.5 stars; also posted on Amazon.com under Leanne

The Forever Girl: Sophia’s Journey is told by the point-of-view of Sophia Parsons, a 22 year-old Wiccan, who is under persecution from the religious Mrs. Franklin and her new convert, Sophia’s own mother. As she struggles with the townspeople’s stares and gossip, she suffers from a constant hissing in her ears that won’t go away even with the spells she casts. If that wasn’t enough, she finds herself the object of interest of a strange group when her friend, Ivory, takes her out for a fun night clubbing, and ends up being chased by a fanged attacker. Sophia is thrust into the supernatural world of elementals and shifters and she must figure out her unique role in it before getting killed.

Hamilton succeeds in entering the already crowded market of young adult paranormal romances/urban fantasy with her own unique story. I admired the plucky, yet vulnerable Sophia and her efforts to understand her family history, while contending with her introduction to the supernatural/elemental world. In addition, I was captivated by her involvement with the mysterious and at times, hilarious, Charles and both their efforts to resist the other. I enjoyed how their dialogue and actions rang true to their characters, much unlike other romances that can feel rushed and inauthentic. I also thought the supporting character, Ivory, was well flushed-out and Hamilton cleverly unfolds her role in Sophia’s journey to the surprise of the reader.

Overall, I was stunned by how good The Forever Girl was – it was an entertaining, fast read with unexpected plot twists. Although the ending felt a little rushed and abrupt, I am definitely looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I would highly recommend this book to teen and young adult fans of paranormal romances such as the Twilight series by Meyer and the Hex Hall series by Hawkins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Girl.