Hayley's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Mar 23, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, drama, favourite, own, young-adult
Read from April 22 to 28, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Before you read this book, you will need two things:
1) Confidence in your personality
2) A fairly large box of tissues

Whilst the second one is probably fairly self-explanatory, perhaps I should explain the first. The two main characters of this book, cancer-fighting teenagers Hazel Grace and Augustus, and two of the brainiest, intelligent, thoughtful, humorous, existential teenagers I have ever met (met in the fictional sense - I get that they're not real). These two teenagers will make you feel like somehow YOUR life is the one that's wasted, even though you don't have terminal cancer and will probably (hopefully) live a lot longer than them, because they are just so damn SMART! They don't speak like 'real' teenagers (which of, course, they are not, with the terminal illness and all), but the way Augustus can make smart, intelligent metaphors out of EVERYTHING, and they both have such a deep understanding of philosophical thinking, it causes Hazel's mother to say at one point: "How did you get so grown up that your understand things that confuse your ancient mother?"

I don't know if that description quite does the book justice, but if you want a better understanding, I think you will just have to go and read it. My literary genius clearly doesn't stand up to that of John Green.

So telling you I loved the book at this point in time is probably pointless (and if you haven't picked up on it by now, shame on you). But I shall tell you WHY I loved it.

Two main reasons: the way it was written, and the characters. Hazel and Augustus and Isaac are three teenagers living with and fighting cancer, but this book, as Hazel tells you herself, if not a normal cancer story. In fact, it goes out of its way to be different. Sure, the characters with cancer are all strong, and they all put up a good fight, but they mope, and complain, and smash basketball trophies, and hate dying, and hate themselves for dying. And even though I've never had cancer and couldn't even begin to understand what it's like, I feel that this is a different and refreshing view on the genre. It's not as obviously uplifting and some such stories can be, but I felt it ended on a positive note.

And it's incredibly well-written, from the teenager-esque descriptions of things like cancer support group (where they sit "in the literal heart of Jesus", and group leader Patrick (whose lost his balls through fighting cancer, and reminds them all every week), to the incredibly philosophical and sophisticated discussions they all have, to blatant discussions of 'caner perks' and how to be a good nurse, and a teenage obsession with a book. The book Hazel (and later Augustus) is obsessed with is called An Imperial Affliction (AIA), written by an drunk guy living in Amsterdam, who manages to "get" Hazel so well in his novel,(view spoiler)

That book is about a teenager Anna, who has cancer, and the book ends in mid-sentence, presumably because she dies and cannot keep writing. (view spoiler)

I hope this book can be someone's An Imperial Affliction, because it certainly deserves to be.

04/23/2012 page 37
12.0% ""He broke out into that goofy smile. 'And you say we don't know each other...' ""
04/24/2012 page 63
20.0% "" 'That's the thing about pain,' Augustus say, and then he glanced back at me. 'It demands to be felt...' ""
04/24/2012 page 113
36.0% "" 'Mom.' I said. I did not say it loudly, but I didn't have to. She was always waiting. She peker her head around the door.
'You okay, sweetie?'
'Can we call Dr. Maria and ask if international travel will kill me?' ""
04/26/2012 page 176
56.0% ""Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you...""
04/26/2012 page 218
70.0% ""There is no try,' I said. 'There is only do...""
04/27/2012 page 247
79.0% ""Half conscious, he glanced over at me and mumber, 'And you say you don't write poetry...""