Trudi's Reviews > The Book of Lost Things

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

What an amazing journey ... I just loved this book! For fans of dark fairy tales, quests, and coming-of-age stories, this is a must-read. The book is so hard to describe, but the reading of it reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth and the other Labyrinth starring David Bowie and a young Jennifer Connelly, with a twist of Neil Gaiman's Coraline thrown in. The novel stands as a great adventure tale, full of harrowing and terror-filled moments. But it also offers some twisted versions of established fairy tales while rejoicing in the power of childhood imagination and the art of storytelling. Where would we be without the stories we tell each other? Isn't that what separates us from the animals? This is not a children's book. Connolly has accomplished something remarkable here. Bravo!
Recommended Readalike: The Talisman

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Things.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Betsy Boo Thanks for the rec, Trudi! I've been wondering about this book for a while, and it's good to have someone I trust recommend it! :)

Trudi I would definitely give this a try Betsy, it's one of the most fun and unique books I've read in a long time :-D

Trudi You know Rob, I put off reading this book for a long time and then I noticed you had given it 5 stars, and that's what finally got me to pick it up. I love goodreads, I tell ya!

Trudi The Talisman is worth another go, Rob. The only drawback is that it's quite a commitment given its length and it takes a while for the story to really take off. But once it does ... what a ride! :-D