Nina's Reviews > The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards

The Science of Yoga by William J. Broad

Mar 23, 12

The writing wasn't stellar, but it was very readable and accessible for anyone interested in Yoga (beginners and advanced practitioners alike). I think what this book does well is spark much-needed discussion in our fast-spreading & quickly growing yoga communities to talk about risk and benefits in a thoughtful and straightforward way.

As much as we need to know the SCIENCE of Yoga (which Broad did a decent job doing a survey of the science, but I'm guessing there could be at least a book for each chapter if we were to learn about the science of the body in asanas), we may just as much need a book about the PSYCHOLOGY of Yoga...how ego and awareness of self feed into how we teach, learn, and practice. That may be just as important with regards to risk and rewards because most injuries and ill effects arise because we're pushed beyond our limits, sometimes without even knowing what those limits are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Science of Yoga.

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I wonder why so many people put down the writing of his Pultizer Prize winner--two time winner?