Mia's Reviews > Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

May 07, 14

bookshelves: british

I'm not ashamed to say that this book was my window into adult life in middle school. Along with High Fidelity, it helped me form a vision of what life might be like for me in my thirties: still an immature, imperfect kid, basically, but in my very own apartment, with love and sex, mixtapes on my shelf, cheese in my fridge, and possibly even a publishing job. I think if I read either of those books the same way now (imagining the characters as future versions of myself), I'd find them depressing rather than exciting. But they were there for me like maybe Judy Bloom books were there for younger girls.

If Helen Fielding has given me any lasting gift with Bridget Jones's Diary, it's the comfort that comes with knowing that, when life seems to be impossibly hard and I find myself doing pathetic things like wearing the same linty yoga pants for days, eating dry ramen for dinner, or crying for no reason while watching 30 Rock and eating pretzels out of a bag for dinner, there's always room to step back and see humor in the situation. Even as Bridget's life falls apart and she proves herself to either have terrible luck, or be something of an incurably bad decision-maker, we love her. And seeing that our inner idiots are actually inner Bridgets makes us as readers love ourselves a little more too.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridget Jones's Diary.