April's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: summer-challenge-2009, mooched, dystopian, pulitzer
Read in August, 2009

The Road is a postapocalyptic story. Basically, the whole book revolves around a man and his son walking down a road in hopes of survival and finding regular old civilzation.

The writing style is sparse and stark. At first, McCarthy's random punctuation drove me nuts. I even had to set this book aside for a few days because I just could not get into it. Eventually, I forced myself to take some time to truly get into this book. I got over my qualms with the puncation, and wound up reading this book very quickly.
Read the rest of my review here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

08/02/2009 page 15
6.22% "I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's weirdly written and I'm not in the mood for it." 1 comment
08/08/2009 "Disturbing and depressing. And I still don't know why things are they way they are in this book."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misty (new) - added it

Misty I've been meaning to make myself read this. And The Stand. I've been told I would love that. The only King books I've ever liked were The Dark Tower series, but the stand does sound up my alley. But it's a beast, right? I dunno. I'll get around to it eventually.

April I am in love with the Dark Tower, so I think you'd really like The Stand, it's so well-written and fantastic, and the characterization is awesome! Plus Randall Flagg (the man in black) makes an appearance.

message 3: by Rita (new) - added it

Rita I have this book to read as well. I look forward to reading it but I know that I'll be disturbed. I have young children and I always tend to project myself into the plot of whatever book I'm reading.

JG (The Introverted Reader) Misty, if you can plug your way through all seven books of The Dark Tower series, The Stand should be a breeze. I like it better than The Dark Tower, but I might be in the minority on that one.

I love your honesty here, April: "I'm not a huge fan of young children." There aren't too many of us brave enough to admit that! :-)

message 5: by Misty (new) - added it

Misty JG wrote: "Misty, if you can plug your way through all seven books of The Dark Tower series, The Stand should be a breeze. I like it better than The Dark Tower, but I might be in the minority on that one.

I..."

Yeah, I thought about that right after I wrote it. But it's different when they are separate books, and some of them aren't even published yet, etc.

I've been told that Flagg isn't the only one from King's other books to make an appearance. I really do want to read it, but I think it will have to be one I buy first. I don't like knowing I have to get it back to the library when it's that long. Especially when I am always reading other stuff, too.

And since I already own The Road, eventually I'll get around to reading it as well.

Tahleen Hm, I liked The Road, so maybe I'll like The Stand even better. I'll have to try it out.

Lalaine *myficbookreviews* loved the film adoptation of this book. much better than the book I guess.

April Lalaine ( Ficbookreviews ) wrote: "loved the film adoptation of this book. much better than the book I guess."

I'll have to check out the film adaptation.

Lalaine *myficbookreviews* eeep *cringes* sorry. spelled that one wrong.. anyway I hope you enjoy the movie.