Laura's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Oct 14, 09

bookshelves: audiobooks, read-2009
Read in October, 2009

I absolutely adored this book, and was expecting to give it a five star rating. But for one thing, it would deserve five stars. The epistolary form was exactly the right format for this particular story, and it was fun and interesting. Furthermore, since I listened to the book, I had the added benefit of hearing the proper voices and accents in a way I could not have imagined in my head. I loved the eccentricities of the islanders, and I loved that Juliet was bold and did not suffer idiocy or attacks on her character silently.

What prevented me from giving this book five stars was what I felt was a premature ending. I suppose it was concluded in a somewhat satisfying way a la Jane Austen (guy & girl are safely engaged, as Shaffer describes it). However, I would have enjoyed seeing that relationship follow through to marriage, and to have the loose end of Kit at least reasonably addressed...although it's obvious the reader is meant to assume that all falls into place. Maybe it was that I wasn't quite ready for the story to end, and perhaps that is the best way to end...leaving the reader wanting more.

At any rate, this book deserves 4.5 stars as a fulfilling and thoroughly enjoyable read (or listen as in my case, because the audio added so much to my already positive experience).

10/04/2009 "Disk 2."
10/07/2009 "Disk 4."
10/07/2009 "Disk 5."
10/13/2009 "Disk 7."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lori I'm with you, Laura. Completely enjoyable, much more moving than I expected. But the ending was an abrupt jolt. I wanted more!