Seamys Reid's Reviews > The Slap

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas

U 50x66
Mar 23, 2012

All together a very enjoyable read, mainly because I've always been fascinated with extended vignettes and slice of life type fiction. The "plot" is basically an excuse to examine the lives of several characters and explore their unique perspectives on the events that take place.

I feel as though this novel could have been made better with a little more subtlety. Harry for example, is a complete and utter bastard with no redeemable qualities whatsoever, so much so that it seemed over the top and silly. Another major takeaway was the author's personal bias. The book largely tried to normalize hard core drugs which I personally found irritating, as I am fairly uninterested in any author's political position on such matters. For instance, near the beginning of the novel, Hector, a normal middle class man, shoots up with speed in his bathroom while he hosts a barbeque.

All things aside, the slap was well written and engaging. I give it four stars because I enjoyed it, but from an objective standpoint it's probably worthy of a three and half.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Slap.