Stormy's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: absolute-favorite, ya-paranormal
Read from April 17 to 26, 2012

I really wish you could see my face right now.
I know I have some kind of wacky expression.

My goodness. The Immortal Rules entertained me like no other book I've ever read. I was captured from the very first sentence. I was on edge the entire time but yet completely immersed in the story start to finish. I was paranoid the entire time. The characters were walking about, having conversations in the dark woods and I was freaking out. I didn't understand why they were so calm. I would be 100% aware, 24/7. My eyes would be so wide, I would look like a tarsier with my eyes popped out of their sockets. I would be scanning and rubbernecking every inch of my surroundings. My neck would revolve like an owls. The world Julie Kagawa cast in The Immortal Rules is my without a doubt what I would call my worst nightmare. I am not a fan of Dystopians. They make me feel claustrophobic and creepy. So, you can imagine my surprise when I fished the book to find I wanted more of that terrible world. Another thing that I am not fond of is cannibalism and there sure was a lot of that in The Immortal Rules. The fact that someone can take a bite out of my flesh and think, "Yummy." is extremely terrifying and revolting to me. I hate zombies and I cringed every time a rabid was mentioned. But I didn't let my fear eclipse my love for the story. It's Julie's strong, likable characters and amazing illustrative writing kept me going, my eyes glued to the pages.

Allison, Allie for short. She is so bad ass. I want more female leads like her! She's is in no way a damsel in distress. She makes a point that she can take care of herself, that she's the one that will be coming to the rescue, and that she should be feared. She is so strong and despite her constant fight to keep her humanity intact, she is honorable to the fullest. She's honest, loyal, and bold. She's brave and strong-willed. She is by far the best female lead I've ever read about and perhaps my favorite female lead. Period.

Basically, nowhere in the world is truly safe. In The Immortal Rules, vampire masters are kings of their cities, ruling over weaker vampires and humans. Some humans become pets to the vampires for the things they can offer them, like food, clothes, protection, and shelter. There's the registered humans used and taken care of like cattle for blood, then the are the unregistered who live in the Fringe. They are humans who don't want to live under the vampire's rules and would rather stay off their radars. They have to scavenge for their things, meals, clothes, and shelter. They always have to be on the look out, constantly watching their backs for rivalries, gangs, vampires, pets, and cannibals. But there are worst things. The city is surrounded by a huge wall to keep out Rabids- vampire mutants, that are totally taken over by blood lust.

I know that this world of chaos will still be spinning around in my head until the next book because Julie Kagawa does vampires like they've never been done before and I know the next one is going to make me even more of a fan.

“A silent road stretched before me, damp with rain and littered with cars. As I watched, pale figures began to slip through the trees or claw their way out of the earth. Rabids edged onto the pavement, filling the road, their hisses and snarls rising into the air. Their empty white eyes blazed with madness and Hunger, and they began to sprint forward . Reaching back, I drew my bladem feeling it rasp free, gleaming as it came into the light. Looking up at the approaching rabids, I smiled.”
― Julie Kagawa, The Immortal Rules

Being optioned for a movie! Yay! :) Happy but a little nervous. My seat will be closest to the restroom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

Quotes Stormy Liked

Julie Kagawa
“You don't dwell on what you've lost, you just move on."-Allison”

Julie Kagawa
“The mighty hunter,” I quipped as we snuck out the backdoor, escaping into the yard. “He can take down vicious rabids and rampaging boars, but one old lady can make him flee in terror.”

“One scary old lady,” he corrected me, looking relieved to be out of the house. “You didn’t hear what she told me when I got up — you’re so cute I could put you in a pie. Tell me that’s not the creepiest thing you’ve ever heard.” His voice climbed a few octaves, turning shrill and breathy. “Today for dessert, we have apple pie, blueberry pie and Ezekiel pie.”

Julie Kagawa
“We are vampires, Kanin had told me, on one of our last nights together. It makes no difference who we are, where we came from. Princes, Masters and rabids alike, we are monsters, cut off from humanity. They will never trust us. They will never accept us. We hide in their midst and walk among them, but we are forever separate.
Damned. Alone. You don’t understand now, but you will. There will come a time when the road before you splits, and you must decide your path. Will you choose to become a demon with a human face, or will you fight your demon until the end of time, knowing you will forever struggle alone?”

Julie Kagawa
“I wasn't thinking of his blood, rushing just below the skin. I wasn't thinking of his heartbeat or his touch or the pulse at his throat. Right now, all I was thinking of was Zeke.”

Julie Kagawa
“Hunger flickered, always there, but I pushed it down. I was a vampire. Nothing would change that. But I didn't have to be a monster.”

Julie Kagawa
“There will come a time when man is no longer concerned only with survival, when he will once more be curious as to who came before him, what life was like a thousand years ago, and he will seek out answers for a hundred years or so, but humans' curiosity has always driven them to find answers.”

Julie Kagawa
“Did he teach you how to bore you opponents to sleep? Because I think I missed that lesson - Allie”

Julie Kagawa
“My emotions still held a stubborn hope that humans could be loyal, that they could hold out against the promise of an easy life. But I knew better.”

Julie Kagawa
“It seemed Lady Luck hated me worse than usual.”

Julie Kagawa
“I recognized it instantly. It was a made-up story, a fantasy, the tale of four kids who went through a magic wardrobe and found themselves in a strange new world. I'd read it more times than I could remember, and although I sneered at the thought of a magical land with friendly, talking animals, there were times when I wished, in my most secret moments, that I could find a hidden door that would take us allout of this place.”

Julie Kagawa
“Jeb regarded me with n o expression. "Do you believe in God, Allison?"

"No," I said immediately. "Is this the part where you tell me I'm going to hell?"

"This is hell," Jebbadiah said, gesturing to the town around us. "This is our punishment, our Tribulation. God has abandoned this world. The faithful have already gone on to their reward, and he has left the rest of us here, at the mercy of the demons and the devils. The sins of our fathers have passed to their children, and their children's children, and it will continue to be so until this world is completely destroyed. So it doesn't matter if you believe in God or not, because He is not here.”

04/25/2012 page 10
04/26/2012 page 205
42.0% "I can't believe how awesomely creepy this is. :)"
04/26/2012 page 327
67.0% "So happy this is going to be made into a movie! Although I will have to have the seat closest to the bathroom because I am positive it will scare the piss out of me. :/"
show 3 hidden updates…