Kristen's Reviews > Netherland

Aug 12, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: popularbooksthatididntlike
Read in January, 2009

This Booker Award nominee has all the makings of a favorite book for me-- a lonely man searching for his purpose in life. I love understated, quiet novels that force readers to look at everyday happenings and interactions in a different way. And this book started off lovely with passages like this:

Some people have no difficulty in identifying with their younger incarnations: Rachel, for example, will refer to episodes from her childhood or college days as if they'd happened to her that very morning. I, however, seem given to self-estrangement. I find it hard to muster oneness with those former selves whose accidents and endeavors have shaped who I am now.

But it sharply veered off course. There is a fine line between subtle and dull. I'm not sure why but this one crossed the line into dull. I found very little insight from the life of Hans and his relationships. What I felt was pity. And who wants to feel pity for 250+ pages?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Netherland.

Kathy McC Have this on my list as well. Hope to get to it before it's old news. oxox

Kathy McC I feel validated. Thanks, Kristen! oxoxoxo