Bobby's Reviews > Saint Sebastian's Head

Saint Sebastian's Head by LeAnn Neal Reilly

Mar 27, 2012

Read from March 23 to 27, 2012

Whoa! This novel was one intense read and definitely not for those who shy away from graphic portrayals of life's tragedy. The amazing part of this novel is that the author was able to weave a fairy tale within the story. Maybe that is because, to a point, life is filled with fairy tales. Definitely, the white knight who comes riding in to save the day is fiction, but if one dares to save oneself, the white knight may still be there to meet you if you are willing to open your eyes and actually see him.

I cannot say I loved reading this book because portions were torturous in their authenticity. None of the violence, however, was gratuitous. I did have to keep reading even during the hard-hitting passages because I was so engaged and concerned. Indeed, the author was careful to remain true to her story line, and only included the necessary description of adverse events for the reader to comprehend her character and the purpose for the novel. One truly got to know the protagonist and to care for her. She is true to those who have endured crisis in her self-destructive habits and her reluctance to allow others into her life. She also has strength of spirit and she is resilient, ultimately triumphing over and over again those demons that remain part of her. I applaud the author for making it crystal clear that once these demons haunt you, they never truly go away, at least not permanently. People become stronger in their endurance to live despite their visits, which may become increasingly less frequent. She may have a funny name, but Weeble lives up to it! She definitely does not fall down.

Leann Neal Reilly wrote a truly memorable character to model for us the truth of inner strength and fortitude. She is one who truly shares that dreams can and do come true despite the sometimes gruesome reality of this life. Indeed, this author knows how to keep not only fairy tales alive, but hope. No matter what happens, she tells us, one can survive and survive not only with dignity but with joy and goodness ahead.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saint Sebastian's Head.