Roxy's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, general-fiction, 2012
Read from March 27 to April 23, 2012

When I initially heard about this book from a friend I had no interest in it but then the movie came out and I saw commercials, they looked far more interesting. It also immediately reminded me of a short story I read in junior high, The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell.

I decided to read the book first. I did enjoy the book. I was hesitant about it when I first started because the whole concept, children being thrown together to kill each other as part of a forced game.....as a parent I wasn't sure I'd be able to stomach it. But I was alright, it wasn't nearly as gory or brutal as I feared.

The story was well paced. It dragged a little but not for long. It was also easy to forget this was a YA novel. They can often come across whiny, at least to adults, but this did not. It did leave me with one big question.....what the hell was the point of the mockingjay pin?!! Tell me that comes up in the next book because I thought it would have significance but it was hardly mentioned.

I will be reading the next book in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

03/27/2012 page 4
1.0% "Screw the book club book, I'm much more in the mood to start HG."
04/19/2012 page 198
53.0% "I hate that I am getting attached to other characters and want Katniss to make friends."
04/22/2012 "The Games are going to end by the end of this book, right?"
04/22/2012 page 338
90.0% "Creatures? Really? 40pages from the end and she throws in creatures?"
04/22/2012 page 348
93.0% "Blah blah blah. Way to drag out an ending."
04/23/2012 page 374
100.0% "Done....."
04/23/2012 page 374
100.0% "I forgot to ask....what the hell was the point of that mockingJay pin?!!"
show 7 hidden updates…