Mo Tipton's Reviews > Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods

Spork-Fed by Jenny Engel

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: food, want-to-buy
Read in March, 2012

Super yummy. I've made about ten of the recipes so far, and they've all been delicious. A couple of them--the ginger tempeh and adzuki bean cakes--are regulars in our weeknight menu now, because they're super easy to prepare and really tasty. (The latter is especially yummy in a wrap with whatever other veggies you have on hand, lettuce, and vegan chipotle mayo.)

If you cook regularly, you'll probably have 70% of the ingredients on hand already, so I'd have to disagree with other reviews that claim the recipes are too fancy, but then again, everyone's pantry is different, so who knows. I love that there's a recipe for homemade tofu and soymilk. I don't really consume much in the way of unfermented tofu, but being a DIY junkie it just makes me happy to know how to do it if I wanted to. ;)

The authors also offer vegan cooking classes, both in person and online, which is pretty nifty.

Update: I just tried the recipe for Cashew Cheese and was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't taste like dairy cheese, but if you're no stranger to vegan cheeses you're probably accustomed to adjusting your perspective in that department. I've been spreading it on crackers (and I can see how it would be delicious used in the nacho recipe from the book), and I've also remelted it and tossed with with pasta and veggies. Yum.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spork-Fed.