Julia Grace's Reviews > Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night

Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night by Joyce Sidman

An absolutely splendid book. I actually like the illustrations a little more than the poetry but only just. It would be a wonderful book to read with a child, but also makes a great addition to your nature poem collection no matter your age.

The poems are very short and sweet explorations of nocturnal flora and fauna. They are all good, but a few shine above the rest. I also really enjoy how educational they are, teaching about the subject of the poem without being boring. There are plenty of fun words and turns of phrase to keep both kiddies and word geeks like me happy.

Rick Allen's linoleum print illustrations are beyond gorgeous. It's like getting a fine art book and poetry book in one! As both a poet and artist myself, I'm more than thrilled with this, though it leaves me in a quandary as to which shelf to put it on. Each print has such depth and character and the more time you spend gazing at them the more you find! Kids and detail oriented adults alike will love finding all the hidden creatures in each print.

The book also has a short paragraph on each page providing more information about the subjects of the poems, which makes it not only a poetry and art book but an informative nature book as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night.