Jeffrey's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Nov 11, 12

bookshelves: try-these
Read from October 09 to November 11, 2012 — I own a copy

Wow, what a series.

Dragon Tattoo stands very well on its own, as well as a great lead-in for the rest of the trilogy. We all pretty much know the story - Blomkvist attempts to solve the disappearance of a girl in Hedestad. The first book is very much like a 'closed room' detective story.

The second book, is actually a sequel rather than a continuation. It takes place some time after the first, and begins to tell its own story, rather than carry on what was presented in the first book. Some backstory comes more sharply into focus, but it's more of a 'sequel'. Also, the style has changed - it's more of a police investigation mystery.

This book, is essentially 'Girl Who Played With Fire part 2' ; kind of like how Deathly Hallows COULD be 'Half-Blood Prince part 2'. It ends the second book's storyline, and to a later degree, wraps up everything that's come to light in both the first and second books. This is more of a spy / espionage book, including Government organizations and the like. The third book I found to be the slowest of the three, that may be because Larsson was busy setting things up carefully and slowly, bringing an end to his trilogy. Or rather, THIS trilogy, had he been alive still.

We have a really good trilogy here. I'm not too familiar with the mystery or thriller genre, but Larsson has created two memorable characters in the form of Salander and Blomkvist. Possibly as memorable as Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

It's a shame the author died in that we have *3* books by him...but they are quite good. Each one is very strong and I give the SERIES as a whole 4/5 /5. It makes one wonder : 'did he have plans for Salander and Blomkvist should they survive the trilogy?' 'if there would be another Salander / Blomkvist story, how much 'more' deeper could Larsson go? We had a mystery, then a police investigation murder mystery, and then an espionage / spy much higher could he raise the stakes?' 'what would he do write next?'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

10/09/2012 page 9