Darrenglass's Reviews > Liars and Outliers: Enabling the Trust that Society Needs to Thrive

Liars and Outliers by Bruce Schneier

M_50x66
Mar 23, 12

Bruce Schneier started his professional life as a cryptographer, and over the years has broadened and broadened his interests -- first to computer security more generally, and now to the concept of 'security' in a very very broad setting, including airport security and online security and much much more. In this book, Schneier considers at great length how we choose who to trust and how we coerce people to act trustworthy. The book touches on economics, psychology, politics, philosophy, and (yes) computer sciencey topics. There is no doubt that Schneier has some good ideas, and I quite liked the framework he sets up in the opening chapter or two, but I felt that the book went on longer than it needed to at times, and in some ways the framework is SO broad and general that it lost some of its interest to me. I will continue to read his writings, but I hope that in the future he narrows his interests back down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liars and Outliers.