Michelle novelsontherun's Reviews > Circus Summer

Circus Summer by Kailin Gow

Jul 04, 12

Read in July, 2012

RATING : 4 INTRIGUED STARS!

The circus is coming to the town of , Sea Cliff, and it is not your average circus. On the surface there are the usual events, flame eater, trapeze, high wire, knife thrower, clowns....but what is this Circus of Curiosities really about?

I did enjoy Kailin’s dystopian story, I have many questions that are bouncing about in my head. I am not saying this is a bad thing. I have a similar feeling after reading this book that I had with ‘The Hunt’ by Andrew Fukuda. The reader is brought into this story and away we go, the world building prior to the ‘away we go ‘ bit, we don’t have. We are fed bits and pieces , and things get revealed to us, but we still are left with not a clear picture of the set up of this world.

Invaders....well, this sounded like only one thing to me, yet this is still a bit of a mystery. We think we are getting a Hunger Games style, kids in a circus fighting to the death, or worst, but there are more layers to this story that are beginning to show themselves as I got closer to the end. I did have a tad confusion with some of the plot depth, surrounding the why these kids had certain stuff done.....I’m trying not to give anything away. Because we don’t really get the whole war, invaders etc.... this is the only reason I have some queries.

The Prologue gives us a quick insight to the danger of the circus that Dr Dex Hightower is ringmaster of, then the chapters start and we get to know Leela Sinclair, Thomas Tattenbaum and Zachary Niles.

I really like Thomas’character, he is Leela’s bff, we can see he feels strongly about her. Enter Zach who has been Leela’s school crush since she was little and things get complicated.

I really love Zachary too. He is very protective and so is Thomas, oh the conundrum for me...hehe!!

Kailin feeds us more imaginative writing as we read more. She has a very creative mind and she weaves these seeds through this story that will come to fruition in the sequels no doubt. I have not read any of Kailin’s works prior to this one, so this may be her style.

I don’t know if I really felt when children died if there was the emotional side brought into the writing. These kids do not really know what they are up against in the circus and some think they are there for a reason that maybe isn’t a reason to be there.

It is definitely an intriguing and very imaginative story, where, you want to know more about what unfolds. Where the book starts in your mind is kinda flipped where it ends.

Things are not what they seem, and what seems is not necessarily true and real. The fact is, this world they are living in , just got a whole lot crazier and a whole lot scarier.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circus Summer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new) - added it

Tien D'Oh! I just realised that I should've just check on GR what your star rating was! LOL