Susan Devy's Reviews > The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine

The Big Short by Michael   Lewis

Mar 23, 2012

bookshelves: highly-recomended-must-read-books
Read from March 23 to July 16, 2012

When I began to read this book , I was wondering why that title ? then later i understood after reading half of that book : it was all about SHORTING THE BONDS ! HOLYCOW !

Short selling usually only happens in stock market, and it's impossible to do that so in bonds market, since bonds is different than stocks, but some people mentioned in this book already foresaw the fall of subprime mortgage bonds, and they placed bet against the bonds and against the whole market.

inside this book we won't find any theory about how to prevent the next crisis or what so ever, it was simply telling us from the other side of the Capital Market, those few people who took advantage from this massive catastrophe.

I really enjoy this book very much, it's more that I ever expected, and I think this book should be shorted in Thriller non-fiction genre book

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Short.

Quotes Susan Liked

Michael   Lewis
“What are the odds that people will make smart decisions about money if they don’t need to make smart decisions—if they can get rich making dumb decisions?”
Michael Lewis, The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine

Michael   Lewis
“In Bakersfield, California, a Mexican strawberry picker with an income of $14,000 and no English was lent every penny he needed to buy a house for $724,000.”
Michael Lewis, The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine