Jennifer's Reviews > Mistress of the Art of Death

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin

Mar 23, 2012

Read in June, 2009

I love this book! It's set in the 12th Century and the characters are so alive with how Ariana (Diana Norman) writes them. They are all so unique and wonderful. It's sad that Ms. Norman past last year in 2011.

Here is a quick synopsis of the story:
In medieval Cambridge, four children have been murdered. The Catholic townsfolk blame their Jewish neighbors, so to save them from the rioting mob, the Cambridge Jews are placed under the protection of the king. King Henry II is no friend of the Jews-or anyone, really-but he believes in law and order, and he desperately needs the taxes he receives from Jewish merchants. Hoping scientific investigation will catch the true killer, Henry calls on his cousin, the King of Sicily-whose subjects include the best medical experts in Europe-and asks for his finest "master of the art of death," the earliest form of medical examiner. The Italian doctor chosen for the task is a young prodigy from the University of Salerno, an expert in the science of anatomy and the art of detection. But her name is Adelia; the king has been sent a "mistress of the art of death."

Enjoy, I hope you love it as much as I do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress of the Art of Death.