Jeepz's Reviews > The Night Eternal

Mar 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, vampires
Read in March, 2012

The third in the series, I expected The Night Eternal to ramp up the tension and terror all the way to a mind-blowing climax. Unfortunately, rather than mind-blowing, I felt like the book bombed. It wasn't terrible, no, it just wasn't much of anything really.

I think there was some real potential here to have the humans be the new terror of the book. Barnes is definitely creepy and dangerous, but not competent enough to feel like a real threat. del Toro teases with the bond between The Master and Zack and the boy's corruption is subtle and wicked, but never seems to mature to any real conclusion. The early, serendipitous crossing of paths between Zach and the rebels is fun, but for me it seemed like the start of something that never materializes. I wanted del Toro to take Zack to the next level and never felt like it got there.

Kelly and the feelers were creepy, and the only vampires with a real coolness factor. I loved how she tied The Master, Zack and Eph together, and created the tension between vampire mother and human father to the innocent and corrupted son. Not sure what else could have been done with her, but would have been fun to see something more.

The unfolding of the back story through the Occido Lumen, the history of the Ancients and vampirism in the world, was interesting and paced well, but wasn't enough to carry the book (not that it should have).

Overall it wasn't terrible, it just lacked punch for the final book in a vampire trilogy. I wanted more and found myself sort of speed reading at times just to get to the next tension point. Kind of a bummer for a trilogy that started off with lots of creepy and terror and tension.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Eternal.